Ampitheater

Ampitheater

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Edible Weeds aka E.W.

~ Highlight of the Day: watching Troll Hunter ~
 
 
Purslane
Portulaca oleracea 
 
 
 
Working for the Pesticide crew at BYU has resulted in a few side effects.
 
First, I dream about killing weeds. Really. I do.
 
Second, I am now hyper-aware of said weeds (perhaps an explanation for the dreams). Dandelions never really bothered me. . . until I hunted them down in the lawns of BYU for 8 hours a day, several days in a row. After that you can't help but notice them in places you never have before. . . like on hikes and in people's yards, and on the back of your eyelids when you close your eyes.
 
Third, weed I.D. has become a fascinating subject that I love to read about during my lunch break. That's not too weird, is it? :)
 
Anyway, weeds have become an important part of my life, and in the last day or so an important part of my diet as well.
 
I truly have a salad bar sitting outside my door, thanks to the beautifully watered and unweeded flowerbeds that grace the mangled lawn of my apartment building.
 
 
 So this is the normal flower bed, with a normal amount of weeds
 
and. . .
 
 
This is the other flower bed. 
You can't even see some of those flowers anymore.
Like I said, a regular salad bar :)
 
 
Also, I splurged and watched Monster University in theaters, and do you know what I saw? Weeds! In the grass! Their turf is in terrible condition. . .
 
 
Stay tuned for more Edible Weeds :)

No comments:

Post a Comment