~ Highlight of the Week: Giant cream puffs for lunch ~
THREE MORE DAYS!!!
That´s it. And then I´ll be on my way to Paraguay. . . which is so much scarier than flying to Mexico ever was. Give me 4 days and I´ll be a real missionary. ( Not that MTC missionaries aren´t real. . . we´re just. . . still in the MTC )
The beginning of the week was rough, due to a slight disagreement between my nose and the rest of my face. My nose was bent on crawling off my face, and I just wouldn´t let it. (I´m gonna need it these next 17 months) This resulted in me learning to not shake investigators hands after lessons, and how to hold in a sneeze while explaining the Atonement, and how to still run during gym time without the convenience of breathing through my nose. It was a fabulous learning experience.
Also we found the biggest, nastiest bug in our housemates´s shower. This thing could have eaten us (or at least our little toe). It´s a good thing I´m blind when I shower (no glasses :) and I can´t see the creepy crawlies :) We made the mistake of handing it over to the elders, who made some sort of terrible plans with it. . .
Weed Whacking. Maybe it´s a menial chore to all you guys, but it has never looked so fun. And they do a lot of it here.
Aaaand possibly my favorite pass time (besides studying the Gospel and reading the scriptures, of course :) is a good ol´ game of Kill/Save the Flower. It´s the only thing that can keep me awake during devotionals on Sunday night. It´s second only to Melonball, and since Melonball´s not quite possible on the mission, Kill/Save the Flower´s got a comfortable spot as number 1.
Question: Is there a book on how to fly Hot Air Balloons? I´ve been giving it a lot of thought, and now I have all these technical questions . . . no body here at the CCM seems to know the answers. . . so I´ll need a good book, or at least a wikipedia article to read about 17 months from now.
Ah. Name tags. The teachers here have white ones. We have black ones. We asked our teacher a few nights ago why his was white, and his response was, ´It´s the color of experience´, and then one of our Elders exclaimed, ´Like Gandalf!´ . So there you go. I now understand perfectly :)
Last night Hermana Kimball and I discovered the wonders of Mexican Super Glue. You´d think it´d be the same as in the states, but it´s not. Luckily 6 weeks of Spanish has given us enough language skills to muddle our way through the directions (with help from the pictures), and we were able to safely and successfully apply super glue (Kola Loca) to Hermana Kimball´s scriptures.
And I´m running out of time, but I need to mention Mexican Independence Day, which was the 16th, but which they celebrate all week long. Which means we got to celebrate too, since we could hear all the fire works. We missed seeing most of them though, because for some reason nobody else in Mexico City goes to bed at 10:30. . . strange, right? :)
![]() |
| Waiting for Mexican Night in the rain |
Presedente Pratt did let us stay up and participate in the Grito Sunday night, which is where the President of Mexico rings a bell and shouts ´Víve (some historically important founding father)´ and everyone else shouts back, ´Víve!´. It was pretty sweet. But it was way past 10:30, and I was struggling. Honestly, I bet we all go to bet at 10pm in heaven. It´s a lovely time. Don´t know how I ever survived otherwise :)
Well, next week I´ll be in Paraguay! Yay! Guess I should start speaking Español. . . :)
![]() |
| Service! We worked in the kitchen (I´m happy about it, I promise :) |
![]() |
| The streets of Mexico, viewed from a bus :) |
![]() |
| Our elders are quite pampered, but they share sometimes :) |
![]() |
| They have Israeli candies here! (at least, that´s the last place I saw these) |





No comments:
Post a Comment