Highlight of the Week: Mini reunion with my CCM companion - going all the way to Asuncion is a bit of a journey, but worth it!
Well, I`m about to finish 6 weeks in Paraguay! Woohoo! That means I have a brand new Ajenda (I`ve already got it decked out for Navidad, thanks to the 2010 December Liahona) and only 6 more weeks of training. Today I bought a Guarani/Español dictionary, we`ll see if it actually helps at all. I`m picking up on the Español, it`s coming. Guarani`s a little more difficult :)
I made an important discovery this week. Guava trees are in bloom. And they´re everywhere. And according to the members they`ll be in season in January (in time for my birthday! yay!)
We went to the lake last week for p-day and discovered a third variety of Mimosa pudica that we hadn`t known about before. Perhaps after my mission I`ll become the world`s leading expert on Mimosa pudica :)
This week was a little crazy. All of Wednesday was travely to and from Asuncion for an Examen. I wasn`t too keen on the idea of a test, especially one in Español, but I had fun with it (perhaps a little too much fun, but that`ll just even things out with my companion, cause I think she took it a little too seriously :) And I got to talk with the other newbies and compare stories and experiences. So Ypacarai seems to be in the middle of the spectrum when it comes to city and campo.
Funny story - Hna. Quito found a grey hair the other day. It`s probably my fault, but apparently it`s bad luck to pull them out, so it`s there to stay!
Aaaand in case it ever comes up, walrus in Español is morsa.
And morir and morar are two very different words. ´to die´ and ´to dwell´. I feel that maybe our conversations about where people live won`t be quite so confusing anymore :)
People in Paraguay are blunt. Or open, or something. They`ve got no reservations about commenting on weight, that`s for sure :) They ask me what I eat, and if I eat a lot, and have to tell them "I eat what you give me!" (which happens to be two huge platefulls of who knows what at lunch and nothing for dinner [which is ok, because usually I`m still working off lunch]) The Gospel is true. Meal time not so much.
Well, I`m about to finish 6 weeks in Paraguay! Woohoo! That means I have a brand new Ajenda (I`ve already got it decked out for Navidad, thanks to the 2010 December Liahona) and only 6 more weeks of training. Today I bought a Guarani/Español dictionary, we`ll see if it actually helps at all. I`m picking up on the Español, it`s coming. Guarani`s a little more difficult :)
I made an important discovery this week. Guava trees are in bloom. And they´re everywhere. And according to the members they`ll be in season in January (in time for my birthday! yay!)
We went to the lake last week for p-day and discovered a third variety of Mimosa pudica that we hadn`t known about before. Perhaps after my mission I`ll become the world`s leading expert on Mimosa pudica :)
This week was a little crazy. All of Wednesday was travely to and from Asuncion for an Examen. I wasn`t too keen on the idea of a test, especially one in Español, but I had fun with it (perhaps a little too much fun, but that`ll just even things out with my companion, cause I think she took it a little too seriously :) And I got to talk with the other newbies and compare stories and experiences. So Ypacarai seems to be in the middle of the spectrum when it comes to city and campo.
Funny story - Hna. Quito found a grey hair the other day. It`s probably my fault, but apparently it`s bad luck to pull them out, so it`s there to stay!
Aaaand in case it ever comes up, walrus in Español is morsa.
And morir and morar are two very different words. ´to die´ and ´to dwell´. I feel that maybe our conversations about where people live won`t be quite so confusing anymore :)
People in Paraguay are blunt. Or open, or something. They`ve got no reservations about commenting on weight, that`s for sure :) They ask me what I eat, and if I eat a lot, and have to tell them "I eat what you give me!" (which happens to be two huge platefulls of who knows what at lunch and nothing for dinner [which is ok, because usually I`m still working off lunch]) The Gospel is true. Meal time not so much.
I love Paraguay, and Ypacarai, and the Gospel, and people, and life in general :)
Hna. Houldridge
No comments:
Post a Comment