Ampitheater

Ampitheater

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Of Algae and Dark Tunnels

~Highlight of the Day: Wading with the tadpoles and lilies :) ~
 
 
I love algae cleanup. You get to put on waders (doesn't mean you stay dry. . . you just don't get soaking wet), catch frogs and tadpoles, and talk with a group of new faces. Today was particularly exciting due to a mysterious beast causing large disturbances in the water by the Love Temple. We were all in a fairly small, concentrated area of algae, skimming the lovely green stuff by the bucketful, when just to my right there was a large "shloup!" like something big had jumped in . . . or out. Everyone thought I was crazy until about twenty minutes later when the same something jumped out of the water towards the arborist guys, who were then just as freaked out as I was (for at least a split second :) I think we decided it was a fish, though the garbage compressor scene from Star Wars kept playing in the back of my mind. . .
I'd take pictures during algae cleanup. . . but my
poor camera's already been through True Blue.
I doubt it could survive an algae episode.
After work a few of us lucky people got to go on a tour of the tunnels that run under the whole conservatory. It was quite exciting, and did not lend itself well to pictures. It's so odd how perception of area differs depending on what's filling it. Some spaces in the tunnels seemed much more spacious than their elevated counterparts, though in general the low ceilings and big bulky pipes made things seem much smaller.
 
 
There were definitely some Indiana Jones moments. I think it's the last one, about the holy grail, when they're wading through rat infested sewers to find some ancient tomb. . . (though there were no rats, and the water we were wading through was only from watering)

No comments:

Post a Comment